Friday 23 September 2016

Greek Style Aloo Gobi

Aloo Gobi with Greek Spices (I know, I know it's NOT aloo gobi)

Yes, I know.  It’s crazy to switch out the classic Indian cauliflower and potato dish by removing the Indian spices and using Greek instead, but go ahead, grab a torch and chase me over the nearest cliff.

This works and it’s delicious. It all came into my noggin because I had a great deal of cauliflower and some home grown new potatoes, but I had a hankering for that really good Greek Saganaki shrimp recipe.  In the end I crazied up the shrimp recipe too, by switching out wild salmon for shrimp, but that’s another post.

Meanwhile, this not aloo gobi takes about fifteen minutes to prepare and another hour to bake at 350 F.  It goes beautifully with Saganaki stylesalmon, by the way.

2 tablespoons Greek olive oil
2 medium size potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
1 medium size cauliflower, stems trimmed and chopped and florets broken into bite size pieces
½ red onion, diced
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
2 mild chilies, minced (optional)
1 heaping tablespoon dried Greek oregano
1 teaspoon cumin seed
20 grates black pepper
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
½ teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
Juice of 2 fresh lemons

Pour olive oil into a shallow baking dish.  Add cut potato first, so it soaks up some oil right away. 
Your own warm hands make the best mixing tools.

Add the rest of the ingredients, then toss carefully to make sure everything is well covered in oil, spices and lemon juice.  I like to use my hands because then I know my mix is perfect.  Bake for one hour at 350F, stirring from time to time.


Yes, it’s that easy.  This side dish goes beautifully with my Saganaki style salmon, but would also go well with a number of Greek dishes.  I apologize to both Mother India and Greece for this one.  But go ahead and try it and let me know if you also think it’s a delicious combo! 

The NOT aloo gobi is on the bottom and to the left.  The saganaki salmon and it's juices are to the right.  Oh, delish...

No comments:

Post a Comment